Friday, October 14, 2011

Thrifty...

When I was little my dad would always take me thrift store shopping with him, and he'd let me and my sister pick something out during every trip...sometimes I would wonder why he'd always take us to the thrift store and never to the mall...but now that I'm older I am so grateful that he did...


Of course as I got older he stopped taking me, but as soon as I got a job sophomore year and started driving, I started shopping at thrift stores again. I was bummed when they took away the SKILL CENTER thrift store in La Mesa. That was the best one, 3 stories of goodness. I wish it was still around, I remember that one the most because my dad would pull out his change as he checked out and let us get boston baked beans out of the little candy machine. Makes me a little emotional just thinking about it...

So now if you were to ask me where I got something, I would tell you the thrift store. I love finding things for a deal. I rarely or NEVER buy anything full priced. I always tell myself, it'll go on sale soon and then I can buy it, and if it's not available anymore then it wasn't meant for me.


I don't care if something is no longer in style. If I like it and it fits and I think it looks good, I get it.


I've noticed that things at thrift stores aren't priced as cheap as they used to be, a few years ago clothing and shoes were priced at 1.99 to 3.99 a piece, nothing over 5 dollars but now I've noticed their prices have gone up and I think it's because thrift stores are popular now.


I am an addict. It doesn't help that there is a GOODWILL right next to my house. I can walk there in less than five minutes, that's how close it is. I probably go there at least once a week, and when I do go, I can spend hours in there looking for stuff. Sometimes I go back through the aisles a few times because they often put more stuff on their racks.


Sometimes I find stuff that is brand new with tags still attached. I found Lilly a Naartjie dress for 3.99, brand new with tags. The tag read it was selling in the store for 29.95. I was proud of my steal. She got compliments about it at Church. I went back a week later and saw more of them there in different colors so I bought her another one and I bought one for a friend at church that just had her baby.


I love coming home and googling my finds on line. I feel so proud when I find out I got something that was really expensive for so much cheaper. 20 dollars at the thrift store is like 100 dollars at the mall!


Thank you Dad, for teaching me to be thrifty even though for a few years in my life, I didn't live that way and wanted more than I could afford. Thank you for telling me you got your shirt for 1 dollar and your pants for 2, and telling me you had to haggle to get your shirt for a dollar. I love you Dad.


Who would have thought, as I am sharing how much I love thrift stores, it got me thinking of my Dad and remembering my thrift store adventures with him.


Here are some that I've been to:

*Goodwill on Home Avenue (the best in my opinion, my favorite one)


*Goodwill in Santee

*Goodwill in Point Loma

*Goodwill in Downtown (this one has an awesome bookstore that Mikey loves)


*Goodwill in Mira Mesa (it's newer, but smaller than the other ones)


*UCP Thrift store in Lemon Grove and in City Heights (formerly known as Children's Hospital Thrift Store)


*Whatever Boutique in Grossmont Center and on El Cajon Blvd (they have a resale section, I love it, you can get some designer stuff for a steal)


*Bara's Thrift in Clairemont


*Baby Trader in La Mesa


There are so many other ones out there, I need to explore them all!


Lilly in the dress I got her from Goodwill

THE END








for now....








1 comment:

TamaraB♡ said...

Your just like me! I love thirty stores and I love seeing that Im getting a good deal. I literally have a goodwill at the bottom of my hill but I never stop and go in for some reason. Ive only gone there once to drop off goodwill clothes. I really should check it out. I heard there are some really cool items you can make DIY projects.